Monday, March 15, 2010

Order Out of Order

How difficult is letting our "yes" be "yes" and our "no" - "no" ? Very difficult today. Authenticity is simple but very rigorous. Breaking it down, it involves the putting aside of self and the fear of what others may think about us (me). Sounds like the sneaky shroud of pride. How would I know? BTDT!

Jesus addresses his followers in Matthew 23 and dresses down those who serve as a negative example. When I peel the proverbial onion, I see more of myself in the latter than I do the former.

What makes it difficult is the cultural mind-set that surrounds us. Pretentiousness is an epidemic plague. But Jesus addresses that in Matthew 23 and in rather harsh fashion.

The picture above this post is that of Henry Martyn Robert. He invented the beauty that transformed into beast called "Robert's Rule of Order."

I know, I KNOW! We need guidelines to avoid chaos. That's all I hear when I take potshots at RR (can't put that second one backward). But when I read verses 16-22, All I can think of is the parliamentary gibberish I hear when I am present at official meetings.

"Woe to you, blind guides! You say, 'If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gold of the temple, he is bound by his oath.' You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? You also say, 'If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but if anyone swears by the gift on it, he is bound by his oath.' You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? Therefore, he who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. And he who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. And he who swears by heaven swears by God's throne and by the one who sits on it."

I am presently experiencing the amazing spirit of cooperation - resulting in productivity - that comes about when like-minded people work on placing aside their pride and self-proposed will to allow God to accomplish divine desires. The "yes" "yes" - "no" "no" principle actually works. It just takes work.

No comments: